Thursday, August 9, 2012

"I fall in love with everyone" -- Big Poppa E


Randomly Accessed Poetics August 5th post Crepuscule by Peter Marra reminded me of a song played by the English doom metal band Cathedral called Corpsecycle. I don't particularly care for the band Cathedral. My favorite Doom band is Evoken. Their sound is sludgy like my father's coffee and their lyrics read like freestyle poetry. Also, I've never heard music played so slow. As musicians, they are extremely talented. Only a person of great skill can play so slow and keep themselves rhythmically tight. Pentagram and Wolves in the Throne Room are my current favorite bands. The sounds of Cathedral's music especially with the only album I purchased, "Garden of Unearthy Delights," grated in my ear like screeching fingernails across a chalkboard.

I am not trying to say that Peter Marra's poem, "Crepuscule," was horrible. No, quite the contrary, I chose his poem, because the title reminded me of metal. I love metal because it is dark and is associated with the sound of evil. I also love metal because it represents the side of humanity that is often forgotten about or shuffled and locked away in closet or spoken about gated hush-hush tones. And any poem that reminds me of a metal (song good or bad) I like. For example, Slipknots' song and album "Disasterpiece," sucked, but as you can see by looking at this blog, I fell in love with the name DISASTERPIECE itself.

Lastly, I personally do not feel that I have been successful writing metal on the page, but Peter Marra, with this poem, has. Here are a few lines from "Crepuscule" to wet your whistle:

naked spirits invited to the burning buildings
see black weather flights of skin.

a feast begins and a slow dance
truncated.
noise has diminished.

If you wish to read the rest of Peter Marra's poem follow the Unearthy link to the Crepuscule.



A FEW WORDS FROM PETER'S BIO:

Peter Marra is from Williamsburg Brooklyn. Born in Brooklyn, he lived in the East Village, New York from 1979-1993 at the height of the punk – no wave movement. Peter has had a lifelong fascination with Surrealism, Dadaism, and Symbolism. His poems explore alienation, sex, love, addiction, havoc, secrets, and obsessions often recounted in an oneiric filmic haze.





Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment