Monday, May 28, 2012

Purple Words: Her Damn Body


Karin thinks there should be
some image of reconciliation.
I say, well, I’ll put it in if one occurs to me.
These matters of characterization can be
difficult if the characters don’t agree.

He had accused her of Adultery,
Incest, Betrayal, Whoredom, Deceit,
Lesbianism, Husband-Hatred, Frigidity,
Lying and Callousness as well
as the usual things.

However, she was equally
fine and fierce that day,
explaining just who her damn body
belonged to anyway.

He had finished and feigned,
and what a face, alluring and presuming
to nourish and disdain the masculine.
Not so the feminine, which should be
kept just so: immaculate and revered.

Three things have followed me
and shape my memory: one black horse,
two black cats and all black crows
haunt and torment me as though
all of Poe’s creatures have sought me
out to darken the days of my existence.

---by Purple Mark 052612



Purple Prompts:                                                                         

  1. Karin thinks there should be some image of reconciliation. I say, well, if one occurs to me I’ll put it in.” Hanif Kureshi. London Kills Me. (Penguin Books, 1997), Page 151.
  2. He’d railed at Jamila and accused her of adultery, incest. betrayal, whoredom, deceit, lesbianism, husband-hatred, frigidity, lying and callousness, as well as the usual things. Jamila was equally fine and fierce that day, explaining just who her damn body belonged to.” Hanif Kureshi. The Buddha of Suburbia. (Penguin Books, 1997), Page 134.
  3. he had finished and feigned, and what a face, alluring and presuming to nourish and disdain the masculine,... Luigi Ballerini translated by Jeremy Parzen. The Cadence of a Neighboring Tribe. (Sun & Moon Press, 1997), Page 55.
  4. Three Things: Three black things follow me, shape a memory. One black horse, two black cats, and all black crows.” Joan Byers Grayston. The Creek With No Name and Other Poems. (Frayn Printing Co., 1979). Page 20.










2 comments: